About the job:
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ride sharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
Data is at the heart of developing self-driving cars. We need to drive millions of miles in the real world and billions of miles in simulation in order to collect the data to build and validate the AI that can drive the car better and safer than humans. Making this data universally accessible and useful to everyone at Level 5 requires tackling data infrastructure, data engineering, compute, and networking challenges that have not been solved elsewhere — there is no blueprint that we can follow! We are looking for a seasoned engineering manager to lead Lyft to a driverless future through the best data infrastructure at scale.
- Develop, communicate, and evangelize the long term technical vision and roadmap for data storage, ingestion, and retrieval in collaboration with the technical leads and Level 5 leadership
- Manage and grow multiple teams within the AV Infrastructure organization. Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team processes, and work with the team leads to plan and achieve Objectives & Key Results
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture and be a role model by demonstrating Lyft’s core values
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members, including other managers and senior individual contributors
- Drive engineering excellence by participating in code reviews, technical designs, and evangelizing software engineering best practices
- Be a strong voice across all of the Level 5 engineering constantly uplifting engineering culture and improving engineering processes of the larger organization
- Grow the team by working with recruiting to identify and hire excellent and diverse engineering and leadership talent
- Ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams, and navigate technical ambiguity with only high level direction
- Ability to work with complex production-quality software as well as fast paces research type projects. Track record of growing the latter into former over time
- Technical expertise in data infrastructure, cloud compute, storage systems, and distributed compute frameworks in multi-petabyte scale systems
- Knowledge of modern data/compute infrastructure and frameworks. Today we use S3, DynamoDB, Kafka, BigQuery, ElasticSearch, Spark, Flyte, Stackdriver, and SageMaker. We do not expect you to know them all, but would like for you to be familiar with some
- Able to motivate, instill a strong sense of ownership, and build a culture of accountability in your team
- Openness to new or different ideas and ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on fundamental qualities and supporting data
- Ability to communicate highly technical problems and solutions at all levels from engineers to top leadership
- 6+ years of people management experience. Track record of building teams, growing the next set of leaders, and managing managers