As a key member of the Real Estate and Development (RE&D) team, the Building and Development Manager will be an individual contributor responsible to support a variety of development activities to ensure consistent & predictable permit outcomes, overall project efficiency, life safety & regulatory compliance, and enhanced government relationships. This position supports the RE&D team, other corporate teams/end users on building development planning, Fire & Building code strategies/compliance, and entitlements/permits related to new construction, renovations, real estate transactions, corporate events, and various other building and corporate projects. The Building & Development Manager is expected to collaborate closely with and support Apple team members responsible for construction, space planning, real estate, legal, environmental health and safety, and corporate facilities. This results-oriented and collaborative individual will be encouraged to integrate into Apple’s fast-paced and innovative culture.
- 15+ years progressively responsible experience in land development, building inspection, plan checking, or fire prevention.
- Proficient in the knowledge and application of applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations pertaining to building, land development, fire prevention, field inspections, and plan reviews.
- Experience in working in a municipal agency is highly desired.
- Certificate of registration as a professional Civil Engineering from the California State Board of Registration is highly desired.
- ICC (building official, plans examiner, inspection) certification is helpful.
- Principles of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and engineering related to building construction and inspection are highly desired.
- Working understanding of building, fire prevention, and engineering principles and methods, with proven track record to read detailed blueprints and codes.
- Expertise in Building and Fire review process and requirements.
- Ability to make accurate and immediate decisions and skilled in conflict mediation and problem resolution.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, customer service, team building, people management, and problem solving skills are essential.
- PREFERRED TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Apple product skills
- Adobe suite skills
- CAD/drafting and mapping experience is a plus
Establish and manage relationships with government officials/entities, design, engineering and construction professionals where Apple is located in SCV and across the United States. Participate in the critical due diligence review and analysis for corporate properties/engagements globally. Manage/coordinate communications, meetings, and inspections with local agencies to review projects in preliminary, design and permitting/construction process. Advice and update on City regulations and requirements and municipal code review processes, parameters, and dependencies. Assist in the internal review and evaluation of project concepts, construction plans, pre-construction inspections and other technical analysis to ensure code compliance. Provide building and/or fire code analysis and support. Assist in the interpretation, justification, and application of pertinent codes. Not limited to coordinating and drafting Alternative Materials and Methods applications and track/guide code & ordinance amendments/trends. Develop and implement training programs and internal process improvements to ensure added project efficiency and consistency. Drive and execute initiatives & projects to proactively audit and prevent code compliance concerns throughout Apple occupied facilities and properties. Provide development services support and consultation to other Apple teams to ensure a smooth, compliant, and successful permitting process.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil/structural engineering, fire projection engineering & science, or a related field.