Facebook AI Research (FAIR) is dedicated to advancing the state of the art in machine intelligence with investments in Computer Vision, Natural Language Understanding, Reinforcement Learning, Machine Translation, Robotics, Speech, and AI Systems. FAIR’s mission is to collaborate with the community to do open research for the benefit of all, and has investments in the broader research landscape, spanning open-source projects, publications, and research-to-production. To support our recent investments in AI Systems research, FAIR is in search of talented leaders with a background in research and demonstrated thought leadership at the intersection of systems and machine learning, including but not limited to AI frameworks, languages, compilers, libraries, and full-stack optimization. Projects that apply machine learning to systems challenges also align with several ongoing efforts. The mission for the SysML team is to advance the state-of-the-art through an end-to-end, full-stack approach to understanding and co-designing cutting-edge systems and ML use cases. The team contributes to the wider AI community by way of publications and open source, and in some cases, internally to Facebook production. We are looking for a Research Manager who has a passion for leading an organization to develop a long-term strategic vision as well as help develop and grow the people in the org. Ideal candidates have remained active in the research community and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced research lab.
Research Manager, AI – SysML Responsibilities
- Be both a highly technical, hands-on researcher and effective people manager.
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive research and engineering efforts.
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence.
- Develop and refine the team mission and priorities.
- Recruit world-class researchers.
- Experience in recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management.
- 5+ years of software engineering work experience, including hands-on technical management.
- Experience in AI frameworks, such as PyTorch, TensorFlow.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field.
- Strong research track record including publications in top-tier conferences.
- Experience managing large open-source software efforts.
- Experience managing senior researchers.
- 2+ years of experience working at the intersection of machine learning and systems.
- 2+ years of experience working in an industrial research organization.
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field.