- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of engineering experience.
- 5 years of experience managing engineering teams.
- Full stack experience developing consumer products.
- Professional experience in engineering with a demonstrated track record of leading large scale organizations of 100 engineers.
- Experience in a startup environment
- Experience in Machine Learning
- Food industry experience or personal passion for the industry
- Ability to set and drive “big picture” strategy while also having the capability to provide detailed technical and strategic guidance to the team, enabling them to execute more effectively and deliver products on time and within budget.
About the job
As the Engineering Leader for Geo Food mission team, you will be responsible for food ordering, menu and restaurant data quality and features on Google Search, Maps, and Assistant surfaces , covering 1B+ queries per day.
You will also be responsible for first-party applications supporting both consumer food discovery experiences and merchant experiences. You will partner closely with your Product, UX and PMO colleagues across different product areas to craft and deliver on our overall Food mission strategy on a global scale.
In this role, you will lead and manage a large organization of engineers with teams located in the Bay Area, New York and Austin. You will provide the technical vision and strategy for the food mission, leading it through a critical transformation as we go from mostly answering questions to truly helping the user make decisions and complete their tasks, and supporting merchants in fulfilling those orders. To do this, you will design and lead multi-year technical roadmaps on projects spanning the full stack, covering the frontend, serving infrastructure, and quality/ML components. In this role, you will actively develop and grow our key talent as well as evolve the overall organization to set it up for success as it faces new challenges.You are a strong, experienced engineering leader to help us to deliver on topline Geo and Google OKRs.
Geo builds the most accurate, comprehensive, and useful maps for our users. More than a billion people rely on Google Maps services to explore the world and navigate their daily lives. That includes sailing down the Amazon river, choosing where to get a bite of pizza, and saving time in commuting.
Geo also helps merchants get their businesses on Google, and developers use the power of Google Maps to enhance their apps and websites. They are solving complex computer science problems, designing beautiful and intuitive product experiences, and improving the accuracy of our geo data, all in order to plot a course for the future of mapping.
- Provide technical vision and strategy for the Geo Food business. Design and lead a multi-year technical roadmap, balancing short and long-term technology investments.
- Grow and lead a team of globally distributed software engineers. Build a collaborative team environment, helping the team execute to their maximum potential and actively develop and expand talent through effective mentoring, coaching, succession planning, and retention strategies.
- Lead software development efforts by driving architecture selection, software design, execution, and operations to build out architectures that are resilient to change.
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional partners including product management, UI/UX and Technical/Program Management to drive product direction