- PhD in Research Science, related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience, applying insights and experimental research methods to real-world challenges, either in consulting, policy, or research academia.
- Experience in the intersection of HCI and AI.
- Demonstrated passion for and thought leadership within the technology space generally, and specifically within behavioral science as it pertains to digital communities and ecosystems.
- Demonstrated success in creative problem solving for scalable systems.
- Product and policy sensibility, with capability to advocate and drive key product innovations or opportunities with the developer community.
- In-depth experience operating successfully within an interdisciplinary research body.
- Results orientation, blend of demonstrated scholarship with business impact.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English with the ability to represent and advocate complex business or technical concepts externally.
About the job
People + AI Research (PAIR) is a multi-disciplinary team at Google that explores the human side of AI by doing fundamental research, building tools, creating design frameworks, and working with diverse communities. We believe that for machine learning to achieve its positive potential, it needs to be participatory, involving the communities it affects and guided by a diverse set of citizens, policy-makers, activists, artists and more.
You are an experienced and recognized thought leader in the fields of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Machine Learning (ML) to lead and grow the PAIR organization. As a member of this research cohort, you will bring your deep subject matter expertise, your industry and/or academic knowledge and your strong leadership capabilities to bear, in creating innovative strategies, next-generation, sustainable software solutions and tools.
Research happens at Google everyday, on many different embedded teams throughout the company. Our research reaches the user through both services and products such as Search, Maps, Google Assistant, Google Translate, Google Cloud and our computing, storage, and networking infrastructure. To achieve this, we’re working on a wide variety of projects that utilize the latest state-of-the-art technologies that push the boundaries of what is possible.
- Lead the People and AI Research (PAIR) which is part of the Google Brain organization.
- Define a vision, strategy and key success metrics for PAIR that positions PAIR to shape the future of user-focused, safe AI development at Google.
- Provide expert consultation to relevant Google teams; bringing together ML experts from the Brain team (genuinely at the cutting edge for deep neural networks, large language models, etc) and the HCI research world, with expertise in putting users first.
- Represent Google in the field as a thought leader and subject matter expert; collaborate, build bridges and expand partnerships with academic institutions, thought leaders, policy makers in the space of trustworthy AI / model understanding / fairness.
- Convert scientific methods more broadly across the company and generalize learnings into a framework that can help bring insights.