- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience.
- Programming experience in one of the following: Java, C++ or Python.
- Experience with developing automated internal frameworks, increasing developer and release velocity, improving code health and building developer tools.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or related degree.
- 10 years of relevant industry experience, with 5 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience.
- Experience in the design, implementation and delivery of scalable build/test/release infrastructure.
About the job
Like Google’s own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started — and as a manager, you guide the way.
With technical and leadership expertise, you manage engineers across multiple teams and locations, a large product budget and oversee the deployment of large-scale projects across multiple sites internationally.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Lead a team of Software Engineers focused on improving developer velocity, scalability and testability of the Google’s diverse project areas and platforms.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation and delivery of scalable build/test/release infrastructure.
- Create the next generation developer tooling and infrastructure for Google, focusing on productivity, testing and release.
- Define the team strategy and roadmap for the adoption of developer tools and test infrastructure for one or more products.
- Collaborate with leadership and key stakeholders on a regular basis.