About the job:
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Squares hardware devices run the full gamut of embedded software: we make our own ASICs, write C for ARM cores, customize our own Android platform, and work with our mobile developers to build Squares Android apps into our hardware.
We know from experience that the best way to test embedded software
is to run it on the target device. To that end, the Hardware team runs its own farm of Linux workers that allow us to plug Square hardware products into our CI/Delivery system. You’ll work with teams across Hardware to eliminate bottlenecks and develop complementary solutions that allow developers to move faster.
You will report to the Product Delivery Lead.
You and your direct team will be based in the Pacific time zone. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
- Grow the team by hiring and developing exceptional engineers
- Foster pragmatic engineering decisions, and apply your technical and managerial expertise to constantly improve
- Help develop and monitor schedules while supporting your team members to ensure that projects are performed following established timelines and roadmaps
- Work with your Engineering Program Coordinator to manage activities related to the sourcing and procurement of the materials and supplies needed to keep our infrastructure running smoothly
- Work with your partners to form an understanding of our teams build systems and product quality concerns to develop exactly the system(s) we need
- 2+ years of experience managing, recruiting, and retaining engineering talent and growing effective teams
- An understanding of complex technical concepts, helping teams make decisions to move forward and communicating those decisions up
- Experience leading public and internal facing software products that have been delivered to customers
- Interest in working across multiple technical domains, including backend services and both internal and external-facing tools
- Interest in building new systems from the ground up as much as improving existing systems to achieve maximum performance
- Familiarity with Python, Ruby, Bash, Jenkins, Swarm, Foreman, Chef, Linux, and Docker
- BS in CS, CE, EE, or equivalent practical experience