About the job:
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
As an Engineering Manager on Frameworks & Services, you would lead a full-stack team responsible for providing experiments, feature flags, device configuration, and other third-party integrations within our mobile applications. Engineering teams across Square rely upon these offerings to develop new features, safely release to production, and monitor analytics gathered from their applications. Our team reports to the Developer Empowerment organization which ensures software development at Square is not only fast and efficient, but delightful.
- Lead a foundational, multi-discipline team of engineers working on complex, full-stack projects with wide impact across the company
- Build or integrate frameworks promoting experimentation and safe release of new features into web and mobile applications
- Work with multiple partners across the company including product, design, legal, support, and other engineering teams
- Lead a full stack team managing server, IOS and Android engineers.
- Part of the time will be spent contributing to the projects and the team’s efforts.
- Guide, organize, and communicate the team’s quarterly goals and accomplishments
- Mentor engineers and help cultivate their career aspirations
- Experience leading, and building a team of accomplished software engineers
- Leadership and collaboration skills with co-workers on other teams and in other locations
- Provide technical mentorship and career guidance to team members
- Experience with server, mobile, IOS or Android.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or an equivalent degree), and 8 or more years of professional software development experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Ruby, Go, Python, Kotlin, Obj-C, Swift
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers, JSON
- MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis