About the job:
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square’s business depends on the trust of our point-of-sale merchants and Cash App customers. The trustworthiness of our software products is anchored in the engineering systems that store, build, and test them. We are looking for an engineering manager to lead a team of security engineers to harden and protect these systems.
- Partner with teams across the security and engineering organizations to understand and identify opportunities for improving the security of all aspects of our software supply chain.
- Develop the security strategy to enable engineers across Square to ship secure software.
- Build an outstanding team of remarkable talent and invest in their careers through ongoing coaching and development.
- Use your technical expertise to cultivate pragmatic engineering decision-making and sustain high engineering standards on the team.
We value engineering managers who:
- Have at least 2 years of experience leading teams of engineers, in both a technical and people management capacity.
- Have at least 2 years of direct experience building or securing at least one of the following: build systems, CI, deployment pipelines, vulnerability management engineering.
- Lead with a people-first approach, can facilitate a conversation rather than dictate it, and are empathetic to divergent viewpoints.
- Excel at building engineering teams that are productive, collaborative and inclusive.
- Build strong relationships with their counterparts, including other engineering managers, product managers, and security partners.
- Are committed to continuous improvement of themselves, their teammates, and Square’s security.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Ruby on Rails