About the job:
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The SPOS helps our merchants simplify their business processes and day-to-day work, and makes it easy to sell in person, over the phone, or out in the field. It’s free to use, and there’s no training. This is a critical product for the Square ecosystem.
As an Engineering Manager on the team, you will be responsible for driving the technical direction of the team, managing product goals, contributing to product strategy, and hiring and scaling your team. You will work with leaders across the company, collaborate with world class product managers and designers, and have a seat at the table of the SPOS leadership team. Operating with scale and speed, we’re proud to have built an exceptional team of engineers who are just getting started – and as a manager, you guide the way.
- Help set broad direction and vision for the team while implementing delightful experiences for our sellers
- Build a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing your team, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across our product and operations
- Own the success of your team’s product and deliver quantifiable results in a timely manner
- Build systems, services, and product features across multiple platforms that have immediate impact on customers
- Be involved in mobile development and release process across several orgs
- BA/BS degree in computer science or equivalent
- 12+ years of software development experience
- 5+ years of experience managing teams with 15+ developers
- Experience in managing managers
- Strong technical background in developing user facing products
- Experience in building large scale Mobile apps or SDKs
- Ability to lead and cultivate a sense of ownership, accountability & urgency in the team
- Experience collaborating with engineering leaders and cross-functional team members
- Ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance to the team
Technologies we use and teach
- REST APIs