About the job:
You’ll be joining a community of 30+ engineers, grouped into sub teams with specific domain focus. Our team is made up of people from all over the world. We work from London, San Francisco, Boston, Colorado and New York, and as well as collaborating with folks remotely across the United States. We welcome people from all backgrounds!
You’ll build, manage, support and grow the team.
- You are a passionate coach who cares about people development, and a driver behind your team’s success. Servant Leadership is at your core!
- Can build a team, identify, recruit, retain, and grow people.
- You are able to have technical conversations, with a passion to iterate, fail, and learn. You are resilient.
- You are someone who is good at facilitating, and knows how to build trust with other teams and partners.
- You are customer-focused, and you measure your own success by how well your team is delivering against the objectives set forth by your customers.
- You have a keen interest in providing a great user experience to our customers.
- You are an enabler and can provide engineers with the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of your engineers and not just yourself.
A successful Engineering Manager will:
- Set clear expectations of goals and performance
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Twitter as a company and how their work fits in the bigger picture.
- Proactively coach, support and develop the growth of individuals in the engineering team
- Provide clear and meaningful feedback to your directs and partners
- Balance autonomy with guidance (neither micro-manage, nor be absent)
- Foster effective team dynamics to build a high performing team
- Seek different perspectives to drive bottom-up innovation, decision making and create alignment from all technical partners inside and outside the team.
- Recognize contributions (ideas/efforts/outcomes at work)
- Raise the bar on what’s possible while providing a healthy work-life balance
- Build a safe work environment for expressing ideas comfortably
- Ensure that the team is passionate about delivering sustainable customer value while constantly learning and improving
- Drive the group’s technical strategy and roadmap – creating success metrics in close collaboration with other Engineering Managers, Tech Leads and Product Managers.
- Brings a strong perspective that inspires change and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to sophisticated problems.
- Work with Tech Leads and Senior Engineers to capture requirements, determine feasibility of new feature proposals and large improvements.
- Has the technical capacity to partner with tech leads and is comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution in the case of bad incidents.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- You have a B.Sc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- You have spent time building UI, platforms, services or working closely with eng teams
- You have previously managed a team of 5+ individual contributors either as a manager or a team-lead.
- You care about keeping things simple
- You use Twitter and care about our mission
- You are awesome, hardworking, and great to work with!