About the job:
The Consumer client engineering team leads the core Twitter experience on Android, iOS and Web. We work with product management, design and backend teams to build compelling new experiences for Twitter users in all areas of the application. The Twitter experience needs to be ambitious, simple and user-centered; come help us make it happen!
What You’ll Do:
We believe passion and personality matter. As such, we need someone who can lead diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing personnel challenges with business requirements. As an Engineering Manager will:
- Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management.
- Be an ambitious source of engineering talent and be comfortable closing candidates
- Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of your engineers and not just yourself.
Our ultimate goal is to ‘ship it ’, so it’s imperative that the engineering manager:
- Own the group’s technical strategy and roadmap – creating success metrics in close collaboration with other Engineering and Product Managers.
- Brings a strong perspective that inspires change and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to sophisticated problems.
- Works with tech leads and senior engineers to capture requirements, gut checks new feature proposals and large improvements.
- Has the technical capacity to partner with tech leads and is comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution in the case of bad incidents.
- A successful engineering manager will communicate daring to build trust. We need leaders who take active roles in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values. This means the manager will:
- Initiate cross-functional collaboration with Backend, Product and Design to develop high quality, focused products (and inspire your team to independently initiate this same collaboration).
- Seek diverse perspectives to drive bottom-up innovation and create buy-in from all technical stakeholders inside and outside the team.
- Develop an advanced understanding of Twitter’s developer community and processes. Be a strong advocate for your platform and make thoughtful changes to improve communication and collaboration of developers across teams.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Twitter as a company and how their work fits into ‘the bigger picture.
- B.S. or Masters in Computer Science with 5+ years of experience
- Experience building native applications
- 2+ years of experience managing software engineering teams
- Previously managed a team of 4-8 engineers with responsibility for mobile client